Aloha, Serbia and landlords

Aloha!  We had English Camp earlier this month and the theme was Hawaii – it was incredible!  The ‘older’ Hungarian kids did A LOT of the work and the organizer who I work with has a million ideasJ!  It was fun – we had Hawaii Five-O mysteries performed each day, a big board game that took us from island to island each day, uklele and hula lessons and Friday night was our luau!  Yes, yes there was a lot of English in there too – even some Hawaiian pidgin that was really fun.  Lots of group time, people sharing their lives and hearts, game time – you name it, it was simply incredible (to be repetitive).

Then there was the trip to Serbia that was great too because a team of people are there and we made a lot of contacts and are getting to know how we can fill some gaps for the refugee work.  But I’ll tell you what – that was a rough week for me personally.  I am pretty sure I did nothing right – lost my phone, locked keys in the car, had personal bank issues, I don’t know what all but I came home just ready to lay in the fetal position for a while.  I did…pretty much a whole week. Except…

It was hot here in Budapest and my landlord wanted me to go shopping with her to the building supply store.  Well – look back at my last blog about the building supply store and ouch!  Do I really have to do that?!  We weren’t going for air conditioning – no, no – screens for the windows and sun blocking shades of course!  But we went – it was cultural.  First of all she drove there.  Ok – we made it, I was thankful.  We walked in and the people all knew my landlady like she was Norm on ‘Cheers’.  It was classic.  So we got more than we needed and ended up having to go back with some returns the next day (I drove)!  That is where she was key – they really should not have taken that stuff back…but they did, because she talked fast and furious.  Even she was relieved when we walked out.  Now understand – we communicate but barely.  That’s a good story in itself but people are the same worldwide.  Context is amazing – we understood each other most of the time due to the context of the situations throughout those two days.  She is a trooper and I have memories for a lifetimeJ.

Many days I feel like every day could be a blog but then I go to write and just a few snipits are transferred to paper/internet.  So be it – I have come out of the fetal position this week and through it all know that life is good, thankfully God is waaaay better and appreciate your time in reading this! 

Want an email each time I post a blog?...enter your email to the right on this website (http://yesletusgive.blogspot.com).
How about donating to my volunteer work in Central Europe?... click on this link please:)...web.nazarene.org/goto/carolskinner   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma

2 and 2017:)