Dreams, cool weather and reality --- all together?

Dreams, cool weather and reality…do or can they all go together?  In my world they do…and they all met head on this past month and week! 

Each person has dreams…and one of my dreams that I really thought was probably not going to happen very soon was to go to Israel.  I have a Hungarian friend that absolutely loves Israel.  He works in a kibbutz there usually each summer and he is crazy about the place.  I enjoy listening to his passion for the country and the people of the country…it’s good.  So when my sister and her husband said they were meeting their son (my nephew David) in Israel and asked if I would like to join them; I couldn’t believe it!  Not sure how it all worked out but I found my self on a plane to TelAviv last Thursday and returning on Sunday.  Dreams come true!  We saw many amazing sites; walking tour of the Old City, hiked Masada (where King Herod built a palace and the path up was no easy feat by the way…took me way longer than most but thank God I made it up and back), saw Ein Gedi Reserve (where David hid from Saul), floated in the Dead Sea (elevation -430 meters or -1410 feet, lowest place on earth), stood on the Mount of Olives and walked the road Jesus rode the donkey on Palm Sunday down to the Garden of Gethsemane, touched the Western Wall and other humbling experiences.  Life is good…and this past week once again affirmed that God is waaaay betterJ.
So where does cool weather come in? Budapest has it – and it is wonderful!  The plane yesterday landed in windy conditions after a big thunderstorm the night before…I was doing my happy dance getting off the plane!  I could breathe, walk without sweating and didn’t even wear my visor!  As opposed to Israel…seriously folks – that was HOT.  Judean desert at 5:30 in the morning (when we arrived to the base of Masada) it was 90 degrees, by 10:30 (when we arrived to the Dead Sea) it was 104.  Can you say drink gallons of water?  So I appreciate the cool weather in BudapestJ
And what about reality?  Welllllll….this is always a fun one and I’m still processing some of it but it hit me hard in Israel.  See…I was expecting to fall in love with Israel.  It was the homeland of Jesus…all the scripture verses would come to life for me and I would fall in love – right?  I’ve gone to several countries and generally I do fall in love…I love traveling and seeing the beauty and cultures – all so great.  Ummmm; not exactly this time around.  The city of Jerusalem is beautiful – it is law to build all the buildings out of the white stone that is called ‘Jerusalem stone’ and quarried in the area.  But the area is hot, dry, arid, a few plants and trees and even some flowers around but very desolate in my mind.  So it is not beautiful to me…and I didn’t fall in love.  And that reality hit me hard while I was hiking, swimming, seeing sites and talking about my trip with others.  Those Israelites that wandered in the desert for 40 years and whined and complained to Moses and God?...I’m thinking that would be me!  That is the harsh reality I came home with – I love Jesus but I don’t love his homeland!  So I’m thankful that His grace is available and that allows me to re-confirm that life is good and God is waay better (but not His earthly homeland). 

So dreams do and are coming true, cool weather is awesome and reality is just that – sometimes it’s rough and tough but sometimes easy peasyJ.  Thanks for reading…have a great month!

Would you like an email each time I post a blog?...enter your email to the right on this website (http://yesletusgive.blogspot.com).
How about donating to my volunteer work in Central Europe?... click on this link please:)...web.nazarene.org/goto/carolskinner   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma

Giving