Advocacy

Time to step back a bit…Life is good and God is way better…and how do I know that?

Advocacy – I have found that I have many advocates.  I have had many in my lifetime…many, of course, have been through work.  I can name several people that have advocated, had my back, went to bat for me – whatever terminology you want to give it – but it’s awesome and it’s a privilege.  Not everybody has advocates.

I was sitting in a hospital room in Krakow, Poland – visiting my Dad who was just about going crazy being there. He had some bad days but was healing and ready to be released.  But…in the other beds of the same room – people didn’t have visitors or people talking to the doctor/nurses like my brother had been for the past 14 days. Did they have as good of care?  I tend to think not – but it broke my heart really.  I’ve had a few occasions in my lifetime being in a hospital and not feeling so good…heading outside for fresh air and a chance to breathe.  I did that a couple times in Krakow – and I think part of it is – it hurts me to see these people alone and not advocated for in a fairly vulnerable life situation!  I could state my whole opinion on health care – in the US and Europe but lets just leave it at this – no matter where you are – advocacy is a must.

And now I’ve been sick for the past 2 weeks – not in the hospital but I’ll tell you what – I had advocates surrounding me!  A Hungarian lady that continues to advocate for me was upset with me when she found out I had been sick for so long and she didn’t know!  She is the one that came to my rescue, got me to a doctor that didn’t cost me an arm and a leg and the meds that were needed. But…I needed to let people know that I wasn’t well…so it’s a 2 way street tooJ

So – I’ve had these amazing advocates in my life…in all parts of my life….work, medical, social and spiritual. I guess my point is – if these folks surrounding me are so dear to my heart  - loving and advocating for me in oh so many ways – how much more does God? I mean – I’ve been learning about Psalm 23 (you know the one. …’though I walk through the valley of death’….etc.) Well one part says ‘He guides’…and another ‘You prepare’.  I believe He does…HE ADVOCATES, HE PREPARES, HE GOES BEFORE.  

This has been a tough month; also a great month with travel, learning, new contacts and people visiting but right here, right now I’m grateful for advocates in my life….ALL of them. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma

European Observations