Polish Tuesday :)

Well what a great day!  It started out with a nice bowl of oatmeal...followed by a great vanilla latte:).  That was just the beginning but what an amazing start!

Moved on to interviewing two students to work at Sweet Surrender...both at the University of Art here in Poznan...one in photography and one in art.  Such talent these students have - love it.  Sweet Surrender hires all students so we have some that will be done with college this year so we are hiring in order to train and be ready for people leaving upon graduation.  One girl already got a job this week; very happy for her but sad for us, she was a great worker so I'm sure she will do well at the hospital that hired her.  The summer months are really a slow time for the coffee shop - we update our menu to more 'summer' food and drink items but the fact is that people like to be outside when nice weather comes!  So that is good news really but Sweet Surrender is closed for the entire month of August.  So things need to get done by July...some work to be done!

Next on the Tuesday agenda was working in the kitchen for a few hours...that always starts with vacuuming and mopping the 'back half' of the coffee shop.  Made some soup (not sure what it was...I'm not a huge fan of soup so...yeah...I think it was some carrot/ginger thing...whatever).  Ran to the little corner store; Netto. This is my favorite store in all of Poznan I'm quite sure of it.  If you know me at all...I'm not a shopper but I'll tell you what - I can spend some time rustling through the bargain bins at Netto.  Too funny...I have to force myself not to go down those aisles so I won't look!  Craziness.

Later in the afternoon today a lady came to the shop who is doing a kids workshop on Saturday.  Oh I can't wait!  From 11:00 - 1:00 on Saturday for kids from 7 -11 in age we will be doing a craft and cooking workshop at Sweet Surrender.  We are preparing some paper beads for the kids to use.  I actually rolled some beads myself today...soo exciting since I brought some necklaces back from Ethiopia made of paper beads - now I know how to make them myself!  The kids will make paper bead bracelets and then they will bake an 'empty tomb' (cresent roll dough and you wrap it around a marshmallow--marshmallow melts while cooking but the bread stays raised up and is 'empty'...clever huh?).  We will tell the Easter story (thank you Fremont Presbyterian for sending eggs over!) and then finish up the bracelets...all in 2 hours!  I'm so excited...Krakow had kids cooking classes once a month on Saturdays and it was just amazing to see pure glee on the kids' faces.  Saturday will be fun.

After that I had a meeting with Mis'ka...the gal that took me to the Fara Church that Saturday and we went on the tour of the crypts etc.  Amazing lady.  She does all the flyers, Facebook posts, emails, newsletters etc for Sweet Surrender Poznan...so we meet weekly to go over status and all that normal stuff.  I enjoy her very much...but she may be gone in July as well--going for her masters.  So that is tough but...what to do?

The final 'work' thing for the day was...a meeting with a gal from a gospel choir here in Poznan. Gospel choirs are really popular in Poland...it is quite amazing but true.  Well - Northwest Nazarene University in Nampa, Idaho is sending a choir to Poland this May to sing, perform etc etc. So I'm working on the logistics for them - where to perform, when to perform, where to stay, how to get from point A to point B and onto point C - I thnk you get the idea.  I enjoy it all very much - but I don't have a lot of contacts so I get to work with Kasia who is Polish and knows more than I do about booking places/people and her choir has good contacts with local radio, TV etc!  So that meeting was awesome - it should be good....and I think the choir will have a lot of fun doing performances in some amazing venues as well as 'flash mob' type of things at malls, on the tram and in parks around town.  A little time on the radio or TV never hurt a choir either:)!

To top the whole day off - I got to Face Time with my Mom and Dad.  Dad is doing well with his new knee...had the surgery last Tuesday in Boise, went home on Thursday and has a follow up appointment this Thursday back in Boise.  Mom is working hard keeping him on the straight and narrow so she says she sleeps well at night but doing good.

Now I'm home and ready for bed...just thought I would share a bit of a Tuesday in Poznan, Poland.  Loving life, and loving God even more...He is very good to me.  Thank you to all of you for sharing this journey with me and being so encouraging/supportive.  Happy Tuesday to you wherever you may be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma

Cross Cultural Orientation