Traveling along in a Range Rover


Traveling in Ethiopia is an adventure.  From 2005 when I first came here - the road Jima to  is VASTLY improved!  209 miles and it took us about 6 hours...we took a while getting out of Addis but then in the country you have to watch out for pot holes, people, cows, goats and we even saw baboons today!  I'm so bummed I did not get a picture...there were baby baboons which I had not seen before.  It was awesome.  At the time I was sitting in the front seat and had the window down so I saw them pretty close.  One jumped up on a road post and looked right at me so I said 'hello'...I'm quite sure he was happy that a 'forenji' (foreigner) acknowledged him.  At least this forenji was happy he looked at me!
The area is so beautiful - it is the rainy season so everything is green and lush.  Farmers were out plowing with their 1 or 2 oxen and corn was growing! There is a yellow flower that is everywhere that is just really pretty...yeah - sorry - no idea what it is.  My Aunt Sue would probably know though!   Oh wait - I did know the zinnias we saw tonight at dinner...I was somewhat proud of myself for that actually!  The have bougeonvilla (sp?) too which is just amazing.  Little kids came up to us and shook our hands on the way to dinner - they think that is quite the novel idea - getting to touch a white person.  Older kids and adults would like to as well but little kids are waaaayyyy cuter so I will shake their hands anytime!  Cutest smiles and giggles afterwards.
Habtamu found us at dinner...that was amazing.  He is Tesfaye's (graduate in Addis) brother and he is graduating from  University on Saturday.  That is huge - he has had a tough go of it so very glad he made it through.
We have electricity and warm showers so I am thankful...always keep the flashlight close by and suck it up when it has to be a cold shower :).  I've only had one so far this trip which is nice.  I"m sure it won't be the last.  Getting into my 'hotel' room was an adventure - no lights on in the hall and I kinda felt drunk or something searching around for the key hole.  Got it though so...there you have it.
Basically been here a week...so far - so good!  I'm going to try to attach a map of Ethiopia so you can see where Addis is and then Jima.  Tomorrow we go to Metu and Maasha is our final destination which isn't even on the map but it is southwest of Metu about 50 miles.  That's it for now - thanks for reading!


Comments

  1. Carol, glad to hear you are off to a good start! Say Hi to a baboon for me... You are doing good things. Be well. Ed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma

Cross Cultural Orientation