European Observations

It is difficult to imagine that I am actually over here for a while!  I still feel like I'm on vacation - I'm sure that will change with time but I am enjoying it here for sure!  Here are some 'reminders' that I have been going over as I go about my daily life here in Europe.

1.  Signs for restrooms?....Very American - look for 'WC' or 'Toilet' here.  By the way - I knew that WC stood for water closet but always thought it was old fashioned.  Not so much - the bathroom in many houses are literally that - the toilet is in its own room or closet - generally separate from the sink, shower etc.
2.  Metric everything!  I remember starting to learn this system in school, back in the day, remind me why America never converted?  Yes...I have new bookmarks and apps on my devices so I can convert.
3.  Dollars - another app I downloaded to convert.  Euro is popular of course...but Hungary uses their own currency (Forint), Poland uses their own currency (Zloty) and I'm still struggling with it a bit.
4.  Public transportation - really is amazing over here.  Kiev was amazing with its metro system and trams/buses etc.  Budapest is a smaller city but has a good system as well.  I will see Krakow's next week - apparently they don't have a metro but trams and buses run all over the city/greater Krakow.  I will learn!
5.  Road signs and round abouts - riding around with Bob a bit and it does take some adjusting!  Driving myself is probably not on my agenda here but reading/following signs and understanding where I am is definitely on my agenda so it is a learning curve.

Thanksgiving is coming - Bob, Colleen, Josh and I are headed to Turkey to celebrate there (appropriate don't you think?).  I am looking forward to that and I must say that I have much to be thankful for - not just this time of year but always.  Some points in my life it is much more obvious to me of the things to be thankful for and this is one of those points!  The changes and decisions and 'steps of faith' that have taken place in me and all around me over the past year have been awesome.  People that have encouraged and supported me in oh so many ways have been amazing.  So THANK YOU to each one!  My heart is full with thankfulness - life is good and God is waaayyy better :).

Much love.
Carol

Comments

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Carol! Sending love and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you're enjoying Europe - I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Love reading your updates. God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma

Giving