Giving

I must say that early in my life my Grandmother (Gram) and my parents  were amazing role models to follow for giving.  These amazing people in my life gave, gave and gave some more!

My Gram invited all her grandkids when they were 8 years old to her summer cabin in the 'UP' (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) for the entire summer!  We learned to fish, row boats, shoot a BB gun, and most importantly, to me anyway, we learned to water ski!  What an amazing summer...so many memories with cousins, Aunts, Uncles and most of all my Gram.  What an awesome role model.

My parents gave when they had nothing!  We learned it was important to get creative in our giving - it doesn't have to be in cash...it can be providing wood for those that needed it for their fireplaces to keep them warm in the winter or my personal favorite (feel the sarcasm here)weeding and taking care of the church grounds each week.  Maybe its taking a plate of cookies to somebody that is lonely and staying to chat for a while.  Whatever - giving was key to our 'being' all growing up.  My parents still give so much - they would tell you that it comes back to them ten/hundred/thousand fold...and I believe them.  It is a miracle.

Anyway - I'm talking of this because giving was such a central part of my growing up and I sooooo want to be a giver as well!  In the past several weeks however; people have been giving to me and that is quite a  humbling experience.  I'm still not reeeaaaal sure how to respond to each one but oh the fullness that it brings to my heart that people support and believe what is going on in my life is a good thing!  People coming to a get together on my last day of work - what an amazing shower of giving of their time and friendship!  Thank you all!

Certainly I have asked for monetary support; and I'm thankful for those that have and are giving - to ask was humbling but the fact that people respond is probably more humbling....thank you!

So as I sit here in my parents house enjoying a cozy fire and listening to my parents talking and planning about their houseful of family at Thanksgiving and their trip to Budapest and Krakow at Christmas; I am thankful.  They gave when I was growing up and that certainly has not stopped today!  I won't be here with them to celebrate Thanksgiving but am VERY thankful for them as role models to me in giving.

Thank you to you my friends and family that read this (all the way through...pretty long for me) and are sooooo encouraging to me.  I've had a few tears in the past week as I 'leave' my life as I know it but am ready to start this new chapter soon.  Thanks to my Gram, Mom and Dad for 'giving' and setting an example for this granddaughter/daughter.  Much love to all of you.



Comments

  1. We miss you already, and I'm so sorry I wasn't able to celebrate with you all on your last day - I heard it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve all the Thank you's. You gave so much to all of us at Pacific. I know I could bot ever thank you enough. God bless you and keep you safe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma