Ethiopian food...


Ethiopian food is not my favorite but I've been doing good!  I don't think I've offended anybody--I hope not:). 
Injera---with EVERY meal. The best I can explain I think is a cross between a pancake and a burrito. It is doughy like a pancake but thin like a burrito. Depending on who makes it--can be sour. I remember sour from last time for some reason but have not had sour so far this year. I'm okay with that!
Roll injera out partially on your plate---part of it stays rolled up and you put the meat; lentils, vegetables or what have you on the part that is rolled out. Typical---some cooked spinach, maybe potatoes cooked in some oil, and chunks of beef or lamb cooked in sauce---usually hot but they tame it down for us forenji type.  Sorry I can't seem to upload pictures to my blog:)!  
Then...you eat with your RIGHT hand.  Always--never with the left.  You tear a chunk of injera off, grab one or two items and pop it in your mouth. Voila---Ethiopian food. Washing hands before AND after the meal of course ( no towel or napkin-air dry).  
Now breakfast---they do serve porridge (oatmeal more or less) that I like a lot. We order eggs quite a bit too and usually have it as a sandwich or they do serve forks. One morning a plate came with no fork but bread showed up so we used that like injera. Good times. 
And by the way---usually at restaurants we do have pasta and rice as options---usually very popular items on my list:). 
That is my Ethiopian experience for now---this week we will be in Maasha and Tepi. Hope all goes well--Tepi trip last year did not go so well apparently so folks are a bit nervous. 
Gelatoma (Oromo for thank you...yes-new tribe=new word) for following!  It seems that people here want me to come back so that is good news!  Sounds like Metu may be the place---most 'live able' should we say. We will see how it all plays out---My heart is more Maasha:). 

Comments

  1. Love your posts Carol. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the food is bearable, but I worry you may not be getting any coffee!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma

Giving