Gifted...


Blog by candlelight today (July 16). The power was on and off the last few hours so here I am!
One of my students from 2007, Amanuel Haile, came to see us the other day.  He is working for the beer distributor here in Maasha and taking distance learning (online courses) for Accounting thru the University in Tepi. Yaaaay!   That is great news!  He gifted me today with a bottle of some kind of honey.  It is like a liquid and he said they use it to treat colds etc.  Hmmm...I will ask some more questions to other people to see if I can understand:). 

While we were in Tepi we saw the University and they are building a lot. I didn't see any of the students wearing jerseys or sweatshirts with 'TU' on them....and I wonder what the mascot is?!!!  That area is lower elevation and is known for their pineapple, warm weather and bugs (yes-I got mosquito bites!). So I think they should be named the Tepi Pinebugs!
Ok...not sure when I can post this...all is well and we head home in a week.    I still have 2 1/2 weeks off after I return and I think I'm okay with that!  Will be nice to catch up with family and friends. 

We are heading to a literacy class on Wednesday. Imagine--having your 'heart' language never written down before!  That is what people are going through here in Maasha---in the 'Shekka Zone' of Ethiopia. Spoken language only until about 12 years ago. Then Bible translation work was started by Wycliffe/SIL and the need for writing became fairly key to the whole deal. So now people are learning how to read in their 'heart' language. Amazing!  That, my friends and family, is GREAT stuff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So it begins...Ethiopia

Thank you Momma

Legos, December and Romania!